Friday, November 7, 2008

Swedes


This past week I set out into Worcester to find junkyard cars and unfortunately did not find what I was seeking. In the meantime however I found a truly beautiful place. I had looked at a map the previous day and noticed a Swedish cemetery down a side street off of Cambridge Street. I walked down that side street and saw a very welcoming path that took me right into the middle of the cemetery. Even though I knew it was around in the area I did not know exactly where it was. I felt somehow drawn to this particular path and once inside I immediately knew it was the cemetery I had seen on the map because of the names on the stones. I was surrounded by Johnson's, Carlson's, Anderson's, and Mattson's. Maybe it was just coincidence, but I felt like I was drawn to the place by the generations old Swedish blood pulsing through my veins. As I walked through this cemetery I thought about my grandmother Ida and my grandfather Emil who immigrated to the States when they were no older than myself. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have to leave my country to find work in a place that didn't know my language with nothing but a trunk full of belongings. But all around me were the graves and stories of people who followed the same path coming to find work and opportunity.

I am particularly proud of my Swedish heritage. As far as I can trace back I am three quarters Swedish and only removed from being completely Swedish by two generations. I am also proud to be an American and it always seems that Swedish-Americans feel the same way. I will always remember my grandmother telling me how much she missed her home but loved being in such a beautiful country like the U.S. Especially with the recent election results I could not be prouder of my country and I think that was on my mind when I took these pictures. In the top image drew me in because of the single rose placed on the stone with the American flag pointed in proudly toward the obviously Swedish name. The image below caught my eye because of the dual pride that I mentioned earlier. I have grown up seeing both flags displayed and it almost seems a little strange to see one without the other to me. Everywhere I looked in this cemetery it seemed that there was this dual pride. Even the traash canisters were striped blue and yellow with Swedish Dala horses painted on them. It was a truly beautiful place to visit and I think one of the hidden gems of Worcester.

1 comment:

pitchertaker said...

I hope you'll revisit the cemetery on a day like today -- overcast and rainy.

P'taker